Homes Out West properties are in regions that are characterised by high temperatures and significant water restrictions. In addition, energy prices are forecast to rise significantly in the next 5 years. These factors mean it is important that the asset management of the properties take these issues into consideration to provide properties as comfortable and affordable as possible.
Homes Out West have made a committment to ensuring all decisions regarding property maintenance are made with sustainability in mind. HOW has already started implementing this theme in its property maintenance, through such ideas as energy efficient heating, tv antennas as a standard fitting, and so on.
Sustainability and Aesthetics Project
HOW has undertaken a pilot project on 6 properties to upgrade them with ideas to improve the sustainability, functionality, and appearance of the properties. These ideas have been generated though the use of architects, building assessors, and a tenant forum, to determine what upgrades will be most beneificial to our properties and tenants.
The project considered the areas of:
- Energy use
- Temperature control
- Water use
Read about the results of this project further here
Daily Sustainability Tips
Here are some tips to live more sustainably.
- Keep showers to 4 minutes or less
- Wash clothes in cold water
- Switch lights off when leaving the room
- Switch off appliances at the wall
- Choose energy efficient appliances
- Plant drought proof plants
- Use a bucket to catch excess water for the garden
- Check for water leaks in taps and pipes
- Compost food scraps and garden waste instead of sending them to landfill
- Avoid the clothes dryer whenever possible